Friday, March 6, 2009

The Weekend Wars: The Beginning

I told you a while back I wanted to work on a collaborated series of stories I called The Weekend Wars. While originally I wanted it to be a collection of short stories, the first one has started to grow rather lengthy. I guess we'll see where it goes. Here's a little sneak peak of the first one:

The Beginning

I hate the phrase “the end of days”. It makes no sense really, because something’s end triggers the beginning of something else. While the Great War was inevitable, it didn't entirely wipe every living thing off the planet. There will always be life born from something's end, but there will also be life that continues on. Not life as usual… but on.

We have all been told that when all life is obliterated in a nuclear war there will still be cockroaches roaming the earth. Enter my main character, Philip Gent.

I could easily compare Philip Gent to a cockroach. He lived mostly in his parent’s basement; a thirty year old, fat, balding boy who never even took out the garbage or loaded the dishwasher for his aging mother. Matter of fact, he hardly moved from the basement. He only surfaced occasionally to sign for packages of spare parts and action figures he had won on internet auction sites.

In this story, Philip finds himself alone in his abandoned town; cut off from the rest of the world. Quickly losing the luxuries of modern life, Philip is thrust into the foreign role of taking care of himself.

Self preservation strangely melds into an obsession, when Philip begins piecing together unique interpretations of his past, the present, and the future using his comic books as a guide... to create a great Manifesto; a collage of pulp fiction, super heroes, and monsters, to leave behind for the future inhabitants of Earth. But there's one problem: Where does he leave it?

---

This story left me thinking: If I were to write my autobiography using only comic book clippings, what titles would I use?

I immediately started trying to find something that described me now, something rather "mom," and couldn't think of single one. I guess what I would use is all the comic books I loved as a kid, trying to find the best parts of each one and just making them relevant now.

As a kid, I loved: Tales From the Crypt, Vault of Horror, Haunt of Fear, The Punisher, Wolverine, Thor, Conan the Barbarian... (as I got older) Tank Girl, The Maxx, Hellraiser, Nightbreed, & TONS more

What comics did you read and could you use them to write your autobiography?

No comments:

Post a Comment