Friday, January 24, 2014

Book Review - Megan: Breadcrumbs for the Nasties Book One

Megan: Breadcrumbs for the Nasties Book One

Written by: Steven Novak

Last night I finished Steven Novak's Megan: Breadcrumbs for the Nasties Book One. I don't want to ruin anything for you, so I'm going to keep this spoiler-free.

Ten year-old Megan is growing up in a world full of monsters--both human and not-so-much. Regardless, these monsters could care less that she's a sweet little girl--there's no Department of Human Services to put the smack down on these nasties. Megan takes a hell of a beating throughout this book, but she's one tough little princess, too, thanks to a mysterious friend, a man she names blueeyes, who's hell-bent on keeping her safe.

I really enjoyed this book--ate it up, in fact. I found myself sneaking in pages as it kept infiltrating my head-space when I really should have been working.

When it comes to writing in the voice of a child, Novak nails it. My daughter, Brynn, is close to Megan's age, so I can completely relate to Megan's inner dialogue and even her actions--I'd expect the same from Brynn if she was thrown into this terrifying world.

I'm intrigued by blueeyes and really wish I knew more about him, even though you get small pieces of his past, there are still plenty of questions that remain unanswered. I look forward to the next book in the series because, truth be told, the ending kinda pissed me off. Sorry Novak. Not that it's not great, but it just leaves me hanging there.

Overall, this book was pretty great. There's plenty of action--blood, guts, and general asskickery, keeping me moving through the book at record speeds. There's also a painful innocence that makes the story more believable, and yeah, maybe I cried a little... just a little.

Have you read it? What did you think?

I read Steven Novak's Megan: Breadcrumbs for the Nasties Book One for this Dystopia Reading Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment