Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Selective Memories and Latchkey Kids

It’s funny the things we remember from our childhood. I was talking to my mom last time I was in Oklahoma about memories from my childhood, and for some reason she doesn’t remember these “incidents” as well as I do.

I distinctly remember being forced to play in the backyard for hours upon hours, being thrown hotdogs when we (my sister and I) were hungry, and then being sprayed intermittently with water to quench our thirst.

I know this sounds rather grim. Now that I have written it out, it seems very doubtful, but that is the way I remember it. I know that I was not abused as a child, although I did get my fair share of “butt whoopin’s”. Whether or not my mind has exaggerated my childhood is something I will question occasionally, but since I am currently of sound mind, I will lend you my interpretation.

I wrote my first Latchkey Kid Adventure over a year ago, but I have more heading your way, some not for the weak at heart. I mean there is “poop”, the disposal of a mangy mutt, and of course many crawdad misadventures. Some of my readers might actually be involved in these bizarre tales, so I will try to change your names, for your protection of course

Are you curious? What is a Latchkey Kid?

Wikipedia knows everything: A Latchkey kid or latchkey child refers to a child who returns from school to an empty home because his or her parents are away at work or a child who is often left at home with little or no parental supervision.

What I recall from most of my childhood memories does not include a parent. Now whether or not a parent was there… that’s another story.

~2

Sorry Cassy. I’m not changing your name. Besides, everyone knows you’re my original partner in crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment