Friday, August 13, 2010

I am Underdressed: Awards & More Awards

Some awards are making their way around again, while I have gotten a couple of these before, I am the worst about doing my part to pass them on. Don’t hate! I am trying…

SO…

I am starting over; wiping the slate clean, and doing this today, damn it.




First, I have been bestowed “The Versatile Blogger” and “One Lovely Blog Award” by the lovely and talented Danielle La Paglia (I was also awarded these awards a few weeks back by Valerie Valdes – equally lovely and talented). I am incredibly jealous and amazed how much Danielle can pack into her #FridayFlash – her pieces are relatively short, but damn do they pack a punch. Thank you, thank you for thinking of me. It’s an honor.

*Update*

Since I have started writing this post, I have received yet ANOTHER “Versatile Blogger”Award; this time from the amazing
Anthony Venutolo. His blog Bukowski’s Basement is so gritty and raw – I just can’t get enough of it. I definitely did not see this award coming. Thank you, sir.

Now, to the rules:

The Versatile Blogger Award

1. Thank & link back to the person who gave it to you.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass the award to 15 bloggers you think deserve it.
4. Contact each blogger you chose.

7 Things @bout 2mara (pay attention – there is sure to be a test later)

1. I have a hard time saying the word “no” to anyone other than my kids – so that means I will probably babysit for you, do your homework, loan you five bucks, and/or give you a kidney.

2. I spent 3 days showing my son how to empty the dishwasher – testing him along the way, and I STILL won’t let him do it… because he does it WRONG.

3. I have a small collection of certificates and college degrees that I am doing nothing with, and I STILL don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. Currently it’s a toss-up between Scientist and Super Hero.

4. I used my son as an excuse to read the Harry Potter series the second time. I can’t wait for my daughter to be just a little older, so she can be the excuse I read them the third time.

5. I am abnormally excited about mail. It takes all that I am to not jump the postman and steal it from his/her grasp before it makes it to my mailbox.

6. While I am 34, I still have an unhealthy fascination with all things Clive Barker (as I did in high school): books, movies, comics, toys, and art.

7. I don’t believe in happy endings, so most of my stories are left in a state of unrest. The ending is left to your imagination (mostly).

I am tagging at the end, so bear with me.





The Fabulous Flash Award: created by Jon Strother, the father of #FridayFlash, to spotlight a few writers that post their amazing fiction on Fridays. This award is moving around like mad, so don’t be surprised if by the time you receive this from me, you have received it from half a dozen other fridayflashers ;-)

I first received this award a couple of weeks ago from Cathy Oliffe. Her blog Life on the Muskoka River always has me coming back for more. Whether she makes me laugh (the #FridayFlash interviews were killer) or flat out cry (see “Ruby Tuesday”), she’s an amazing writer. I am honored that she would think of me for this award.

THEN…

Because I am so slow at this, I received the award again from Mari of Mari’s Randomites. She recently hosted this amazingly fun #ZombieLuv contest on her blog. The contestants were required to write a zombie romance. I know, crazy! She had an amazing turn out, and the stories were so much fun. Mari put a killer amount of time into this, and I am glad I got to be a part of that. Thank you Mari so much for all of your kind words and encouragement. You’re awesome.

Like the other awards this one has rules too. I know, I know rules schmooles:

1. acknowledge receiving the award in a blog post
2. link back to the person who awarded it
3. select four other fabulous flashers to receive the award to keep spreading the joy
4. write one or two short lines explaining why you’ve chosen each recipient
5. optionally (I know not everyone is on Twitter) tweet, “I just gave the Fabulous Flash Award to (name). They’re worth reading.” Include a shortened URL back to your post in the tweet.


Stick it out, stick it out… more awards… not pointing fingers just yet.

Just when I thought I was done with all of this award business Anne Tyler Lord comes along and give me another one: The Creative Writer Award




Anne, is incredibly sweet. Thank you so much for thinking of me. Each week, Anne offers so much inspiration with Writer’s Life and tons of info on her weekly Coffee Klatch. It means a lot that you would think of me.

More freakin’ Rules:

1. Thank the person who gave this to you
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you.
4. Tell up to six outrageous lies about yourself, and at least one outrageous truth – or – switch it around and tell six outrageous truths and one outrageous lie.
5. Nominate seven “Creative Writers” who might have fun coming up with outrageous lies.
6. Post links to the seven blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know you nominated them.


6 Outrageous Facts (or are they?):


  • My first EVER Major in college was Avionics.

  • I have fallen asleep in a bathroom stall at a country bar.

  • I got a tattoo as a Mother’s Day gift.

  • I have smoked catnip.

  • Resurrected drowned flies with salt, and yes I drowned the flies so I could resurrect them.

  • Shaved my head on a bet

  • I have been crapped (more like splattered) on by a hippopotamus.

You guess – they could be all real, all fake, 50/50 ;-) Good luck with that.

Now comes the finger pointing. I know a lot of my #FridayFlash friends have received these awards, so I am going to be a pain in your ass and break the rules.

Hey, I can do what I want… this is my blog.

I am sending every freaking one of these Awards to one person:



There ya go, Kemari Howell.

Kemari is one of the best friends I have ever had. She transitioned from an online friend to a “real life” friend after we both moved to Phoenix, AZ, about 4 years ago. She is an amazingly talented writer with such a lovely way with words. You must read her: HERE

Check out "Remembering Stella"

She also has a remarkable editing eye, and I don't know what I would do without her.

SO...

I did it, I am a dirty cheater. I hope you will be able to find it in your hearts to forgive me for not passing another award on to you. I am pretty sure you have received all of these by now, and if you haven't shoot me a message and I will will one or all of these your way.

I am really very lucky I have friends like you. I appreciate your comments, and I can't thank you enough for your encouragement.



You're awesome,
~2

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the kinds words. I'm overwhelmed.

    I enjoyed reading both of your lists and that cracks me up about the dishwasher because I cringe every time my daughter tries to put something away. No one can do it right! LOL

    Also, I don't know which of your outrageous facts were true, but we (me, daughter, boyfriend, nieces) were the victims of an attempted splattering by a rogue hippo at a zoo in Mexico. Luckily, no one was hit, but it was disgusting and hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be sure to find it in my heart to forgive naming only one person as soon as I stop laughing alone in this small room.

    Hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle - I really did get pooped on. I was probably about 4 though at the zoo in Houston, TX. I was really upset because we had to leave... that dumb hippo ruined a perfecly good Mickey Mouse shirt :-/

    J. Dane - thanks :-P for laughing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your awards!

    I can see every one of those suckers being true, Chuck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey 2 - What a great idea. Passing all of the awards on to one person. I like it!!! LOL. And that cracks me up about the dishwasher. What drives me crazy is my kids will do the laundry and they don't want to fold so they'll stick three things in the washing machine. Three!!! So when it comes to drying, they have three things to fold. So damn smart that I want to smack them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I also pass on the word 'plethora' to you, lol. All your awards are most deserved, many congrats!

    Thank you for the tag and kind words on the Zombie Luv contest. Yeah, I know it's a crazy theme, which is why I decided to go for it. ;P

    You go rule breaker! I'm not too fond of these award rules either, heh.

    As for your facts, err, I'm sort of with Laura. All truth? I'll be anxiously waiting for the revelation, like you with the post. ha! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well deserved awards, 2. Congrats.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete