Friday, April 6, 2012

Falafel? #AtoZChallenge



This year, for the A to Z Blogging Challenge, I'm writing Micro Fiction (or Flash Fiction) that is 100 words or less around a set list of words provided by my BFF (Kemari Howell). Today's letter is "F", so today F is for Falafel.

Falafel?

The food court is the worst place to eat lunch on a Friday, but there I was, standing in line like the rest of the dumbasses at Eat-A-Pita, stomach rumbling.

“What’s the hold-up?” I grumbled into my BFF, Fiona’s ear.

“New guy, I think,” she shrugged.

“I’m starving.”

As we neared the front of the line, there was most definitely a “new guy”. Tall, dark, and OMG—the pin on his uniform, in bold letters, read: ASK ME ABOUT MY BALLS.

“Hi,” he said with a big-ass smile.

“Um… Hi,” I blushed. “Falafel?”

Fiona laughed—I died a little.

~2

Feel free to leave your short pieces of fiction (<100 words) in the comments below. The word for today is Falafel..

19 comments:

  1. LOL. LOVE IT! He probably got the jobs because he wanted to wear the pin!

    Jen from Falling for Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally work there just to wear the pin :-)

      Delete
  2. AWESOME!!

    I love the last line!

    http://archnasharma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-). I changed it several times to keep it less than 100 words.

      Delete
  3. No wonder he took so long serving his customer. Lots of explanation needed, lol!

    Thanks for finding and commenting on my RomanticFridayWriters flash fiction. I'm keeping them coming daily. I'll be back to read yours. I'm putting you on our RFW list temporarily so I can see your posts when they come up.

    For the benefit of other who'd like a bit of 'romantic' fiction with a dark edge, go here:

    http://romanticfridaywriters.blogspot.com

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've never been good at the romantic stuff... now the dark edge I can handle.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if many people asked about his balls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like he was busy giving explanations!


    Look forward to your challenge run…
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! That was *funny*, ~2

    I suspect I might have suggested getting a slice of pizza - elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really good to see how Flash Fiction is done - it seems so difficult!
    Thanks for the great read.
    Bex
    www.leavingcairo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I'm strong enough for flash fiction, though I do love falafel!

    Good luck with the challenge!

    Dianna Fielding
    Sociologyfornerds.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Falafel? I did, but I'm much better now.

    Cute. I like the way you ended it.

    ReplyDelete