Saturday, January 4, 2014

THE SANDMAN Volume 1: Preludes & Nocturnes

THE SANDMAN Volume 1: Preludes & Nocturnes

Written by: Neil Gaimen

Artists: Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg, and Malcom Jones III

Covers: Dave McKean

THE SANDMAN Volume 1 is comprised of issues 1-8 of DC/Vertigo's THE SANDMAN originally published in 1988-1989.

Dream--Lord of Dream and Nightmare also known as Morpheus and Death's little brother, is captured by mistake, stripped of his magical possessions, and imprisoned for over 70 years. Once free of his captors, he not only seeks revenge, but also quests for his stolen items. In this volume, Dream ventures through our world, the underworld, and the dreamworld to reclaim his possessions and seek revenge on his captors.

I can't believe I've waited so long to read this title--it's really a fascinating story. The idea of a world that's made up of the dreams of the sleeping collective is genius. One of the things I love about DC titles, in general, is the willingness to mingle with characters from other titles. This volume not only shares story-lines with John Constantine (Hellblazer) and Justice League, but also dives into the bowels of Arkham Asylum and mingles with the nasties of Gotham City.

I love the layout--not only is there a clear separation of each issue, but the original cover designs are also included. Other comic book "volumes" will bleed one issue into the other, giving the illusion of a single work of art. This makes it hard for the collector in my blood to distinguish between issues, severely handicapping my comic book trivia responses.

The art is pretty awesome, and I already have a crush on Dream--he reminds me of Benedict Cumberbatch. What?


I remember reading of the possibility of THE SANDMAN television series, so I thought I better Google it and see if this is going to be a "thing" or if I, in fact, dreamed it up. In my search, I happened to find a post that lists Neil Gaiman's casting dream for the role, and guess who is listed there! Benedict Cumberbatch! I kid you not. Tom Hiddleston is also listed as a Gaiman fave, and I can see it. Both actors have the bone structure, and I'd be happy with either.

In last story in this volume (issue #8) titled "The Sound of Her Wings", Morpheus is morose--he's finished his quest and pretty much disheartened by "now what?" His older sister, Death, makes an appearance and puts him in the right frame of mind, leaving the future open to unlimited possibilities. While the other issues seem to be a bit busier and more gruesome (and I love that), I feel like this one shows the most promise. I can't wait to read the next volume... and the rest of the series.

Have you read this series? What do you think?


Read as part of the Graphic Novel Challenge and the Eclectic Reader Challenge

3 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of the books but I really want to start from the beginning. I love the characters and I think it would be fascinating to go in order. I'm glad you liked this one.

    I think Benedict Cumberbatch and/or Tom Hiddleston would be great for Dream. I'd love to see that happen.

    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try this series again I picked it up once and didn't really get into it. Now that it is going to be a series/movie I really want to give it another go!

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is going to be a popular choice for the challenge, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete